Being good can seem like an unrealistically lofty goal. After all, everyone struggles with temptation to act in bad ways, and sometimes even good intentions don't lead to good behavior.
But God isn't looking for legalistic "goody-two-shoes." He's a loving Father who wants His children to be good, because He knows that's what best for them. And the kind of goodness God is looking for is attainable because He transforms those who love Him.
Here are some ways you can strive to be more good:
* Realize that God is the source of all goodness. Seek to draw closer to Him, and express your love for Him. As you do, He will recreate you so that you naturally love goodness as He does and are motivated to obey His laws. Live to please God because you love Him.
* Let God's living Word - the Bible - inform you of how He wants you to think and act in every situation. Meditate on God's Word and ask the Holy Spirit to show you how you should apply it to every aspect of your life.
* Know that God has sound reasons behind each of His laws, and that His laws work for the good of His people. Commit yourself to fulfilling God's purposes in your life by obeying His direction. Regularly ask God to reveal His will to you and help you do it.
* Recognize and confront sin when you encounter it, rather than excusing it or watering it down in some way.
* Before worshipping God, prepare yourself by confessing any unresolved sin in your life and asking God to purify your heart.
* When performing tasks God has entrusted to you, take them seriously, remembering how important it is to fulfill God's purposes.
* Be aware that other people are watching as you make decisions. When you choose good, you honor Christ and bring Him glory as His representative. But when you choose evil over good, you discredit His name and cause others to turn away from pursuing Him.
* Imitate Christ's life by showing love for others. Seek to serve others in love whenever you have an opportunity.